Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Not quite the beginning

In 2012 I was not only fit, but fell fit. I ran several pb's in fellraces and won the Lakes 50 mile Ultra (not really a fell event I admit). I knew that a Bob Graham Round was within my capability and I should really give it a go. But it was already well past midsummers day and I had more races planned throughout the rest of the 'summer'.

So I went into the Autumn thinking that I would probably give it a go in 2013 and in the meantime I spent ever longer in the fells preparing myself for what will surely be the biggest challenge and therefore greatest acheivement of my sporting life.

There are three main reasons why I havent done the BGR until now.....

1) I felt that I should know the full route like the back of my hand so as to not need reliance upon navigators

2)I'd seen first hand the organisation involved in a fully supported attempt and didnt think I could be bothered to arrange all that was involved.

3) I have always ran a road marathon in the Spring so my weekends from Christmas to then were always taken up with long or fast road runs.

And the thinking behind now ignoring these 3 reasons?

1) I will never know the route as well as  I would need to to do a minimally supported round. Well, I might, but in several more years time, and by then I might not have the fitness.

2) Its only to sort out the once so I've decided to do it in the biggest style possible with at least 3 support runners on every leg.

3) For the last two years road marathons have only served up disapointment and frustration - time for a change - 2013 is the first year in the last 10 that I am not planning a road marathon at all.

So thats an explanation of how I decided to do the round. Heres the why, when and which way round.....

Why?

Why not? I've heard of the BGR since just after I took up fellrunning in 2004/05. With Cumbria being my home County I have easy access to the Lake District fells for training and I like the idea of what is generally considered the 'big thing' in English long distance fellrunning.

When?

Summer makes sense for the amount of daylight, or more handily, the lack of darkness. Peak BGR season seems to be May-June and I have chosen Saturday June 1st. It's a compromise date, I always thought mid May would be best  (as I've noted May weather to be kinder than June/July weather for the last few years) but I also really want to run the Scafell Marathon on 19th May so I had to choose a date a couple of weeks away from that event (and figured afterwards to be better than prior)

Which Way Round?

Clockwise.  Bob Graham went that way. Also, before I looked into the route in proper detail I already knew that Skiddaw and Blencathra were in the first section, and as I knew these two mountains quite well from summers evening runs, it seemed logical to link them up with Calva and thus I was already recceing the clockwise option many years before I ever considered doing the full round. Similarly, its very easy for me to get to Threlkeld and set out on Leg 2 clockwise. To go anti clockwise now would seem wrong somehow. Plus, the climbs up Blen' and Skiddaw in those final few hours would be seriously tough, and the descent off Skiddaw might be a very slow walk if legs are smashed.

That leaves two more questions

What time to set off? and What schedule to aim for?

I'm going to set off at 11pm the day before (ie Friday night, 31st May). The thinking behind this is that it'll be dark for about the first 4 or 5 hours of my round, getting light by the time I near  Gt Dodd hopefully. With the descent off Blencathra therefore being the only technical  bit I will  be doing in the dark. And the first 5 tops should be no problem to locate in the dark either.  With sunset being 21:36, If I take 23 hours 59 minutes to complete the round then I should still get to Robinson (summit no 42) in a wee bit of daylight and the final hour or so will be dark but on roads and paths there should be no possibility of going the wrong way.

Schedule then..... I want to beat 24 hours, thats a given. The  thing about a BGR is actually going SLOW enough at first so as to ensure you can cover the distance. But then also theres little point in going so slowly that you barely keep inside 24hr pace. Its not terrribly difficult to run a leg or perhaps even two of them at sub 20 hour pace. Would it be sensible or foolish to set off at that pace on the day? I dont know. Nearer the time I will make a decision based on numerous training runs over the route.

Of course no matter how much you train, how well you know the route,  and how well prepared you are, theres a myriad things that can go wrong and prevent a completion. Most obvious is the weather. Cold, rain and strong winds would probably be worse conditions despite the daylight, than clear skies and hard frosted ground in midwinter.

That previous paragraph is the only vague nod to negativity I will ever mention on this Blog. I include it to demonstrate that I do indeed realise that my preparation, ability and determination will play their part alongside fortune. As far as I am concerned June 1st 2013 is the day I complete the BGR - it will not be referred to as an attempt.

Being the first post on this new Blog and already being a good way into my training and planning I have much more to write about. Most notably the humility I feel from the response of folk I know (and some I really don't) when Ive mentioned my plans and enquired of their help. More on that next time, but thanks folks.

#wecontinue



No comments:

Post a Comment