Thursday, March 14, 2013

and it was all going so well



So off I took myself (and Scamp) to Threlkeld with the plan to run Leg 2 and back again. I wanted to run for about 7 hours so was never planning to include Fairfield on the return trip. As things turned out though, not only did I not do Fairfield twice but I didnt do any summits at all on the way back......and I was probably lucky to get to Dunmail in the first instance.

Early doors of the leg, looking back to Blen'



With the tricky icy section I encountered with Lee on Sunday gone in mind, I kept well around to the left of the two scars that run vertically up the N face of Clough Head. It wasnt a bad way up to be honest, though I encountered a few rocks high up that got in the way a little. I wll probably stick with the direct line on my round however - suppose it depends on my super Penrith navigation crew and which way they know best. The direct line now has some decent sized steps in it and is easy to find (when there's no snow).
Champ waits for me to climb Clough Head
In some ways it is a shame that new footways like this open up throughout the district. The line down to Grisedale Tarn from Dollywagon Pike surprised me yesterday. Last time I descended it  about 2 or 3 years ago it was a vague line of dirtier grass. Now it's an ugly scar of loose earth stones and mud. I wonder how many proper paths of any description Bob Graham used on his round?
Lonscale & Skiddaw as seen fr CLough Head Trig
At Clough Head summit I stopped the clock on 49mins, 10 mins less than allowed on a 24hr round. After a few photos I set off properly (ie running). The climb to Gt Dodd featured some icy patches on the main path, but all easily avoided. 25 minutes to Dodd, another 5 inside 24hr pace. This good running inside 24hr pace continued over the next  tops of Watsons and Stybarrow Dodd, coming in at 7.5 mins each (9) and again to Raise 15 (18).
Since the beginning I had been running at a very easy pace and walking whenever the gradient was any more than a gentle up slope. I lost a little time to Whiteside but  its only an 8 minute section so I probably took a couple of photo stops there.
At Helvellyn Lower Man I again gained time (6 mins) but then coming off HLM and onto the easy drag round to Helvellyn proper I encountered a very large patch of ice.
For no reason other than I am an idiot and should have known icy sections were likely, I had omitted to pack my spikes.

BIG MISTAKE 

As I set out gingerly across the ice I almost immediately fell over. Landing on my backside there was no problem and I picked myself up and continued even more carefully. I was probably 90% of the way across what must have been about a 30 metre wide patch when the ice type changed from smooth to very rough. Not rough enough to get any grip unfortunately and I went down like a sack of potatoes, this time landing with almost full force on my face.
The smack of my head against the ice sounded so loud it alarmed me. Immediately I was aware of blood running down my face and as I got to my knees the ice below was already being splattered with drips of the red stuff. My camera was around my shoulder and I was concerned it might have got damaged so I took the lens cap and pressed the shutter button - thankfully, it clicked.
crap photo but at least it worked


There wasnt much else I could do other than dust myself down and get moving again as soon as possible. I soon neared the Top of Helly and encountered more similar icy patches to and from the trig point. Same story on the next two summits which caused what felt like huge detours to be sought out to avoid the worst ground and so all three were outside of 24hr pace. I met a few folk picnicking hereabouts - funny glances were noted, I presume at my bloodied face, as I chatted briefly then skipped off again, zigzagging between the rocks and ice, occasionally tottering, frequently stopping to change direction arms a waving sail like to keep balance.

Dropping down to Grisedale Tarn was a welcome relief away from the danger, but my confidence was at a low and I even slipped on the wet grassy descent - at least only a wet backside resulted this time.Going around the tarn on the Seat Sandal side the snow was at least a foot deep mostly. I expect it was driven there by the wind and has had little chance to melt since due to being in the shadow of SS most day long. 

As I reached the hause that marks the top of the climb up from Grasmere but only the bottom of Fairfield I considered leaving my bag somewhere while I popped up Fairfield and back. It seemed a faff though and to be honest although it was quite heavy, I'd got used to it and didnt notice it most of the time anyway. I was rather pleased to have my bag by the time I was halfway up to Fairfield mind you. The wind picked up and it was bloody freezing (obv' it was always actually freezing in terms of the degrees C - but now it felt so for the first time all day).


At the top of Fairfield were  two people at one of the cairns. Its funny how you (I seem to anyway) gravitate towards people on a summit even if they are not at the actual summit point. I wasnt really sure which was the trig point so I visited another cairn and the shelter just to be sure. Then I set off back down. But I didnt take exactly the line I had just used up. I'd encountered some icy patches coming up but somehow found many many more as I made my way off the summit plateau to the main steep path down. At times I opted to sit down and sledge my way across the ice rather than risk falling over. Trouble is, this isnt smooth ice like in a skating rink of frozen pond - its old compacted snow, partly melted then refrozen time and again. So its rough. Bumpy with ridges. And even on a gentle slope you tend to gain speed quickly. and going over this stiuff quickly whilst sat on your bum aint so comfy!!

Nearer the hause again I elected to descend on the Grasmere side of the broken wall. Here the snow was deep and virgin and I found that by going as quickly as possible I was lifting my feet up again before they had time to get buried too far down in the snow. Such fun.

Less fun was the climb up to Seat Sandal. Again, its own shadow saw little in the way of any path sections clear of snow and ice. At times I had to use my arms to haul myself over the large rocks left and right of the path to avoid almost certain mishap. I say less fun because despite the added difficulty over a normal (non snow & ice) passage of my route - it was lovely sunny day and I was off work doing something fun,challenging and enjoyable. What better place to be?

Eventually I found myself dropping off SS toward Dunmail.  The road was reached at 4hrs 04 mins. thats about 30 minutes inside 24hr pace. I was delighted to have done a decent time in poor conditions. Hopefully, despite darkness for the first few tops, I hope it will go as well on the actual round.


Coming off Gt Dodd - the next tops line up to be had
First Glimpse of Ullswater is as you near Sticks Pass crossing point

Beginning climb to Raise but looking back to the descent off  Stybarrow Dodd to Sticks Pass

So there I am at Dunmail Raise. About 8 miles from my van and not really wanting to get back up in the Helvellyn area again this day. I figured I may as well just set off on the reverse of the Tour De Helvellyn route - through the woods opposite Thirlmere. 

Its not a flat route by any means but certainly easier by far than climbing up and down proper fells. By the Swirls carpark I was feeling quite good (after having had a short low spell of energy and walking up a not particularly steep climb), so I elected to use the TdH route all the way to Stanah rather than the main road. Its a tough wee section with lots of upping and downing on a path which at times is scarcely any more than a possibility of a route through rocks. 

Spectacular frozen waterfall
As I neared Stanah I felt so good that I reckoned getting back up onto the route proper was a good idea. But instead of going all the way to Sticks Pass I turned E earlier and made up Fisher Gill where I found a rather spectacular frozen waterfall. A little higher up and the path was bearing round to my right. I looked out the map and noted that if I continued I would actually regain the main route South of Raise. I should have looked earlier. That was too much of a prospect this late in the day so I turned back on myself and jogged all the way back down again.

I stopped for a final photo at Stanah and decided I may as well just use the handy tarmac all the way back now. It was probably 4 or 5 miles and although I wasnt running fast and was running low on energy again, I never once stopped or even slowed up - poor Scamp.
Final photo of the day. Blencathra seen through St Johns Vale

Back at base boxing the software I've never been so pleased to see my little van waiting for me. I'd parked in the Cricket Ground carpark and left it at a jaunty angle that it might catch the sun through the big windscreen as the day grew on. Now though it was surrounded by about a dozen cars all parked much better. Worse to come was a few minutes later and heres me sitting in the drivers seat shovelling pasta, Hula Hoops, cake , green tea, diet coke and tomato soup into me, one side of my face blood splattered the other probably white with dry sweat, when 10 mams and about 20 sprogs emerge from the pavilion, guessing there must have been a birthday do for one of the sprogs, I am parked more or less at the top of the steps down from carpark to pavilion so they all file right by me, looking horrified mostly, ushering the weans into people carriers and 4x4s.

Bout 24 miles then (stopped GPS unknowingly at Fisher Gill so lost the track). First proper look at Leg 2, confidence knocked, lessons learned, experience gained. 

Shirley says its all in the head, that the BGR is a mind game. I think i'm beginning to see Shirleys point - the physicality of this thing is far from the only consideration.

#wecontinue



No comments:

Post a Comment